The first ever Plus X Innovation Hub in Brighton is celebrating a major milestone in building progress, ahead of its official opening in January 2020.
On 9 July, construction for Plus X Brighton reached the top of the building, marking a significant moment in its development.
Plus X transforms places, creating spaces that unlock potential, driving business growth and innovation, community collaboration and positive social impact.
In partnership with specialist regeneration developer U+I, Plus X hubs will be launching across the UK, evolving an existing site at the Central Research Laboratory, London and soon to be launched Plus X Brighton early next year.
The Plus X formula blends flexible work spaces with a wealth of facilities and support. These include media studios, prototype workshops and product labs, integrating innovation programmes, start-up accelerators and access to Plus X business growth services from marketing to team talent experts.
Over 7 floors and 53,000 sq. ft, Plus X Brighton will accommodate more than 550 people, attracting a wide community of members including freelancers, start-ups, scaleups, corporates and education partners.
Driving education and skills training through strong college and university partnerships is key to the unique Plus X formula. This approach is coupled with a commitment to deliver a positive social impact in every new Plus X location, working with members, community and government to help resolve local challenges.
As Plus X Co-CEO, Paul Rostas explains “We are excited to mark this important milestone in the construction of Plus X Brighton. Our first innovation hub will play a vital role in enabling entrepreneurs, established business, education partners and communities to thrive and prosper through a unique blend of inspiring space, world class facilities and curated collaboration”
Richard Upton, Chief Development Officer at U+I adds:“Innovation is an integral part of our business. We exist to unlock potential and drive growth into mixed-use regeneration by breathing new life into neglected or underestimated places. The first Plus X will open at Preston Barracks in Brighton in early 2020 and we have also submitted planning for a purpose-designed facility at The Old Vinyl Factory. This is just the start, as we plan to develop further Plus X holdings at other major regeneration projects. This concept delivers substantial wash over of value to our wider regeneration activity and we believe it is the first of its kind in our industry. Every Plus X building will embrace beautiful architecture, inspirational interiors and deliver substantial economic growth”.
A wealth of world class services and customised facilities will be on offer at Plus X Brighton including:
- Blended work space incorporating hot desks, fixed desks, dedicated studios, meeting rooms, video conference booths, event space, quiet zones and an outdoor roof terrace to enhance member cohesion and space to develop ideas.
- Prototyping studios for product processing, testing and assembly, featuring the latest 3D printers, CNC milling machines, laser cutters, spray booths & microelectronics workshops.
- Soundproofed podcast facilities with state of the art digital, image and video facilities.
- Business innovation programmes led by expert and experienced innovation teams, connecting major corporations with the talent and skills of Plus X members and education partners.
- Accelerator and innovation programmes designed to drive business growth & resilience for business start-ups and scaleups
- The first Platinum standard WiredScore building in Brighton offering ultra-reliable and super-fast internet connectivity.
Furthermore, Plus X Brighton is aiming to be the first innovation hub of its kind to focus on business growth through the international WELL building standard that drives human success through positive physical and mental health. Features include a café with a natural menu designed to enhance productivity, ample natural light, biophilia, meditation and yoga classes, aromatherapy infused rooms and access to open outdoor roof terrace space for quiet contemplation.
From solar roof panels, a zero to landfill policy, green electricity and regional suppliers including milk delivered from local farms and Direct Trade coffee from Red Roasters, Managing Director for Plus X Brighton, Olga Hopton is dedicated to ensuring the new building is sustainable – reducing the carbon footprint and supporting local suppliers where possible.
“I am looking forward to building Plus X Brighton into a place that maximises both purpose and productivity” she explains. “whilst integrating world leading facilities, services and a pioneering attitude to help our members collaborate and thrive, we are committed to delivering a positive impact through connecting with local business and community”.
Jonathan Sharrock, Chief Executive at Coast to Capital, said:“Greater Brighton is one of the fastest-growing city regions in the UK, rated in the top five for jobs growth in the past five years and one of the best places to start a new business. Home to the University of Brighton, the city has an entrepreneurial and innovative edge which has led to the emergence of a world-renowned creative and digital tech cluster.
“The Preston Barracks project will transform Lewes road into a new, state of the art facility which will enhance the offer for local students and support business growth. We are delighted that our £7.7 million LGF investment has helped to get the project off the ground and the topping out ceremony of the innovation hub Plus X is a key milestone in the development. We are excited to see future developments as they arise.”
Opening January 2020, Plus X is the winning formula for business and social success.
For more information contact Paula Seager at Natural PR, email: firstname.lastname@example.org tel: 01273 857242/07830 300469
NOTES TO EDITORS
- About Plus X:Plus X is a partnership with specialist regeneration developer, U+I. The partnership is designed to transform places, creating work spaces that unlock potential, driving business growth and innovation, community collaboration and positive social impact. https://www.plusx.space
- About U+I:U+I is a specialist regeneration developer and investor. With a >£11bn portfolio of complex, mixed-use, community-focused regeneration projects including a £154.0m investment portfolio, we are unlocking urban sites bristling with potential in the London City Region (within one hour’s commute from Central London), Manchester and Dublin. We exist to create long-term socio-economic benefit for the communities in which we work, delivering sustainable returns to our shareholders.uandiplc.com
- About WiredScore:WiredScore is the international scheme that rates and provides transparency on the infrastructure, connectivity and technological capacity of office buildings. WiredScore was founded in New York in 2013 by leaders in real estate, technology and telecommunications, with an endorsement from Mayor Bloomberg, to improve the city’s technology infrastructure, and support its entrepreneurs who are driving technological advances and creating jobs. To date, over 500 million square feet of commercial real estate has been Wired Certified globally. co.uk.
- About WELL Certification: The International WELL Building Institute is leading the global movement to transform our buildings and communities in ways that help people thrive. IWBI delivers the cutting-edge WELL Building Standard, the leading global rating system and the first to be focused exclusively on the ways that buildings and everything in them, can improve our comfort, drive better choices and generally enhance, not compromise our health and wellness.